TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Valve cover dilemma?
People Seeking Info

Subject Valve cover dilemma?

Posted by KeepinitClassy on April 12, 2016 at 5:58 PM
  This message has been viewed 458 times.

Message I'll make this as brief as possible while still trying to provide all the details. Just shy of 2 years ago I purchased a 91 TT from an original owners widow that had passed away. Got the car for a good deal and wanted to bring it back to its former glory. Noticed it had an oil leak but figured it was a wash for what I got it for.

Fast forward a few months, neither myself or a friend of mine could determine where the oil leak was coming from. After the car would be driven for 10 minutes you could smell oil and if the hood was popped upon stopping oil burn off smoke would come up from between the drivers side of the engine and the fender well, basically burning off somewhere on the exhaust. I broke down and brought it to the dealership for them to determine what was leaking. The result from them was the valve covers after performing a dye test in the oil.

I went through the process of replacing the valve covers, upon removal of the plenum I noticed that the drivers side outside calve cover was actually missing a few bolts and figured that was the culprit. The whole process of doing the valve covers took longer than I wanted, mainly because life and home reno got in the way.

Last weekend I finally got it completed and have run into issues. First off, I started the car and let it idle, had it front end up on ramps, let it run for about 5-7 minutes, had no leak but it was running rough. Later on I was doing my wifes oil change I started the car and let it run for 10-15 minutes and noticed it started leaking oil, popped the hood and the burn off smoke came from the same place it did before, felt like a kick in the junk. I thought about bringing it back to the dealership to see what else they could find but after calling they said without them having done the work for the valve cover they can't guarantee it was done correctly. I'm not a master tech but everything was pretty straight forward and I used all new parts. Does anyone have any other idea what this could be? Anyone ever experienced it?

As far as it running rough, like a misfire. If you go to rev the car it'll hit 2800 rpm and won't go any higher and upon letting off it'll almost die out. I had ordered the Idle AAC IACV Plug Connector but got the wrong part so that isn't connected. Would this cause this? Almost sounds like more of a MAF issue to me.

Thoughts?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.